BAR

bar bar bar \

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Conversational Arabic: Maha's Beginner Arabic Lessons

One of the best resources I found early on was "Arabic with Maha," on YouTube.  She teaches MSA, the audio in her videos is good quality, and the vocabulary she introduces is very useful.  She is a gifted teacher who explains things clearly, and she uses repetition techniques to promote recognition and memorization.  Furthermore, she includes on the video the Arabic text and the transliterated text for what she is saying, which lets you read along with her.  In particular, she has a series of 15 excellent beginner lessons, roughly 5 minutes each, which teach basic conversational Arabic--"Hi," "what's your name," "where are you from?" etc.--The first time I watched each of these videos, I wrote out the words as she taught them, pausing the video to read and copy the text on the screen.  I watched and listened to each of these videos several times thereafter, sometimes repeating out loud, sometimes paying particular attention to how the phrase is written in Arabic, sometimes just listening carefully to pronunciation.

I have compiled Maha's beginner lessons into a playlist here.  Sometimes I would just put the playlist on in the background while I did other things, and it kinda brainwashed its way into my head.  Watching Maha's Beginner Lesson Series for a bit every day taught me very quickly basic conversational expressions and simple questions and answers in Arabic.  I highly recommend using this resource early on to build your ability to read and speak Arabic.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. However I tried to listen to your playlist but it does not exist.

    ReplyDelete